Brief Introduction to St. Pauls Church
parish of St. Pauls Episcopal Church is steeped in
history. The influential financier Jay Cooke joined with
his neighbors, including Robert Shoemaker and others, to
build a new church. The cornerstone was laid in September
of 1860 and the Bishop of Pennsylvania consecrated the new
church on May 16, 1861.
the Civil War the Rector and congregation of St. Pauls
supported the 11,000 U.S. Colored troops at nearby Camp
William Penn. The ladies of the church also ministered to
the wounded at the battlefields of Gettysburg and Antietam.
parish of St. Pauls takes pride in maintaining the
heritage of buildings that grace our parish life, including
the thirteen beautiful Tiffany windows in the sanctuary.
recent past, St. Pauls has been greatly enriched and
honored by parishioners of St. Matthias Church joining our
congregation. St. Matthias closed its doors in 1996 and its
sacred vessels were dedicated and incorporated into our
our past, and look to the future of St. Pauls as a
family of Christian peoples from diverse backgrounds and
cultures, who come together to pray and care about one another.
We strive to nurture our young people, and raise them up
in the community of Christ. We gather spiritual strength
from one another, and pray to continue to serve the community
with the spirit and goodwill of our founders. We celebrate at 10:15 am service on Sunday